Friday, October 23, 2009

Why Do You Homeschool?

"The pace of life in our culture can be frantic. Homeschooling gives us the precious gift of time with our children."
-Zan Tyler, Anyone Can Homeschool

I get asked this question often. Especially, in the company of other mothers. The most important reason we homeschool our children is because we want them to have a Christ centered education. I want to read and study scripture with them daily.

"And these words, which I command you this day, shall be in your heart: And you shall TEACH them diligently to your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 6:6

It is our responsibility to educate our children. I also home educate my children to protect them from the nightmare that is the government school system. Do not mistake my words, not the teachers, some wonderful Christian teachers teach in government schools. It's the system that is broken. It all began with the taking of God out of the schools. A Christian teacher cannot speak the Word of God over her students, she cannot pray with a child, she cannot have a copy of the Ten Commandments posted and resighted in her room. I can and I do in my classroom.
Is homeschooling easy? No, not always but I have never felt more reward and fulfillment doing anything else. I know the hearts of my children. They are safe in my care daily. They will not grow up and get into no good mischief. They will not experience multiple adult romantic relationships as teens. You know what I mean! I hope that my children will wait for the ONE God has especially for them. I hope they will have a pure courtship until marriage. It was not so long ago that these values where the normal custom. Only in the last fifty years or so has casual dating become acceptable. Yes, I sound old fashioned. I embrace old fashioned.

I wish all mothers would embrace staying home with their children and homeschooling. I had a comment here before from a working mom, "I would love to stay at home but I like to have electricity and food" as do I friend. I don't fault mom's that think like this because not so long ago, I did. I have a degree, I had a high paying career, and I like nice things. I never felt right about working after becoming a mother. As I prayed over what to do, and read God's word, I knew being home and educating my children is my place. It is the place of mothers. I realize, their are circumstances loss of a spouse, etc. where a mother may not have the blessing of a choice but in general, we have a choice. Sometimes, that means giving up certain things. I am proud to say that I love shopping thrift shops for nice cloths for myself and my children. I shop with coupons and have cut my grocery budget from about $1000 per month to about $400 per month. We live with a debt free vision for our family, hopefully in the near future. We live modestly but never have we, as a family, been happier.
I am blessed with a wonderful husband that encouraged me to be a stay at home mother, and it was also his idea to homeschool. The seed was planted in my heart but his encouragement sealed the decision to homeschool. He works hard for us everyday. He doesn't particularly like his work but he has peace because he provides for his family. He is always in search of new opportunities for himself and I full hearted support him. The Lord provides and we are grateful.
http://http//www.voddiebaucham.org/vbm/Blog/Entries/2009/6/25_Top_Five_REasons_Not_to_Send_Your_Kids_Back_to_Govt._School.html


It is not my intention to judge. These are just our families beliefs and values. It is my hope to encourage mother's to make the choice to be full time caregivers of their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!!