Monday, March 1, 2010

Keeping It Real!

I need to bring it home for a minute......or two.

Over the past eight years, I have slowly let my true self split from my physical self. Let me just be straight up honest with the white elephant in the room....WEIGHT....has been a battle for me.

For as long as I can remember, I have had to workout and watch what I eat. Even as a teenage girl, I would exercise daily. In my early twenty's, I worked out just thirty minutes a day and that was always enough to keep me feeling fit. At twenty-five, I became a mother and my true battle with my body began.

What really happened, is I became so "in love" with being a mother that I forgot to continue to love myself. I stopped devoting time everyday to my physical well being. I forgot to make exercise a priority.

As my inside self grew up and became a much happier person. My outside self reflected comfort and I think laxness on my part. No, I am not calling myself lazy, because my work is non-stop most days. But laxness about physically conditioning myself. I see enough of what not to do in our society that I know, this is not how I want to live out my life. In this physical form, especially knowing I can change.

I am a licensed (non-practicing) physical therapist assistant. Conditioning and rebuilding muscle function used to be apart of my everyday. I know how muscles function, build, and work. I know if I don't use it, I will lose it. Especially, approaching my mid-thirties. I just have to make a change . That is my journey!

This is week two of my "new me" journey. The initial soreness has passed now (the first week is always hardest). I am settling into a new routine. I set my alarm to be up before my children and I go out to the gym my husband built. He built the gym for himself, but after watching his dedication, I have become inspired to do the same. It's nothing fancy. Just an old shed with an old nautilus equipment, some free weights, and a treadmill. Stuff we have had for years, we just stored away until this moment in life. I also, mix in some Pilate's to keep things interesting. My children get their little bands out and do the Pilate's right along with me. I love it!

It will not be easy. It will take me some time to see the evidence of hard work, but I can already feel the difference in my energy. I have so much more energy. I love feeling better about myself. I love knowing, that I am doing something to improve me. I have no set goal, but I will know that a goal has been reached when I get dressed one morning. That is the goal. I will know, when cloths feel good again. I will know!

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya sister! I so need to start again myself...

    love ya new look!

    You need to come see me this summer...:)
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You precious ladies are so dear to my heart.

    with all my love,
    Brandi


    Dear Robin....if we can make it come together, I would love too.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!!